Why support Tethys activities
The following are among the main problems faced by cetaceans in the Mediterranean Sea:
- all species are daily threatened by incidental catches in fishing gears, chemical and acoustic pollution, reduction of food resources etc
- 16% of dead stranded fin whales along Mediterranean coasts is due to a collision with boats
- in the coastal area of the Ionian Greece, common dolphins are almost disappeared in the last 10 years
- in the Pelagos Sanctuary krill is the only food fin whales feed on during summer: even a minimum environmental change may lower its abundance
- confined in the Mediterranean, fin whales could not promptly react to the global warming by migrating towards cooler areas to feed
You can also contribute, through Tethys, to protect the Mediterranean cetological fauna!
It’s more than twenty years that the Tethys Research Institute is involved in this difficult mission by
- being the first institute that, based on scientific evidence, proposed the creation of the Pelagos Sanctuary
- acting towards awareness and mitigation of the collision issue between boats and fin whales
- pointing out, through its studies, that the overfishing problem is the main cause for the Greek common dolphins fast decline
- conducting studies on the critical habitats of the cetaceans in the central Mediterranean
- engaging costantly – within the principal international conservation agreements – towards conservation and precautionary effective measures for cetacean populations through scientific results published on specialised magazines
- establishing one of the largest scientific database on cetaceans in Europe, patiently collected every year in several Mediteranean areas
Thanks for your generous help. The contribution you offer will allow a further step towards the conservation of our seas and of their wonderful inhabitants!
How to donate
These are the different ways in which you can contribute to our work:
Details for the bank swift:
Istituto Tethys onlus
Banca Popolare Etica
Via Spallanzani 16 - 20129 Milano
SWIFT CODE(BIC): CCRTIT2T84A
In case of a bank swift please send the following email as confirmation of payment execution
IMPORTANT: the requested fields in the online payment form are required in order to issue a regular payment receipt.
According to Italian Law (art. 13, D. Lgs. #196/03), I allow the Istituto Tethys onlus to use my personal data for accounting and statistical analyses.